Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year New Food Choices

Ahh, you have to love New Year's.  Resolutions, promises, dreams.   And because we are human, most of them fall by the wayside around February. Our Christmas season was great.  The boys fully loved every minute of it, and I had a blast watching them become aware of all the awesomeness of the holidays.

Christmas lights-They went nuts.  We had to drive around the neighborhood every night after I picked them up from daycare to see lights.

Christmas Tree- Lights had to be on. At. All. Waking. Times.

Creepy Elf- Check.  The boys loved looking for Truck Trash everyday. (Yes, there is a story there and it involves a fondness for trash pick up)

A Christmas Story-You know that one.

Church- They loved Christmas Eve service and watching everyone sing.

Christmas Eve: Happy Birthday Jesus Party and Tracking Santa!

Christmas Day- PRESENTS!  And the fun of friends and family over for dinner.

This is the first year they really *got* it, and I didn't take the time to blog about it, because frankly, I wanted to enjoy it and live the moments. I loved watching the magic of the holiday season through their eyes.  Where everything is fascinating, everything is cool, everything is wondrous.  If only we could always have Faith like a child!

Once again, I digress.  It is 2013 after all.  DH wants to lose weight, eat better, exercise more.  Now that I got a full marathon out of the way, I want to keep running, eat better, and enjoy my family.  But I am really wigged out by food.  I have been the high fructose corn syrup crazy around here for the last year.  I am also against extra sugar and dyes...but then I get lazy.  And the kids get junk.  And I hate it.

I see the way my high school students eat. They eat all the time.  Except that it is all crap.  Candy, chips, energy drinks, gatorade.  Then they eat all of the worst possible food the cafeteria has to offer.  And they are still hungry.

I don't want that for my kids.  To be hungry all the time because they are eating fillers not really intended to satiate them.  But that means I have to change.  DH has to change.  WE have to change. 

And I found this awesome website:100daysofrealfood.  This family has changed the way they even look at food-she has recipes, a few meal plans, and a bunch of baby steps to get you started.  We are going cold-ish turkey and diving right in.  I hope it is okay if I write about this journey as well.  Since the boys are fairly picky about what they eat, I am both excited and anxious to see what this does for their appetite.

Breath held, nose plugged, diving in.

Hope the water isn't freezing!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about Christmas! We had the BEST Christmas ever just watching Em and Drew enjoy it!

    I just found 100 days of real food on FB a couple of days ago. We sound so similar. I am good, then not-so-good, then good. Consistency is the problem here and TIME.

    I would love to see you write about it! I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it awesome! I hardly slept Christmas Eve I was so excited for them.

      I hear you on time and consistency. I will work on it :) This week while I have been home has been ok. Now next week will be where it gets interesting...

      :)

      Delete